Monday, April 18, 2011

New Children's Books

So after I got all the kids on the bus this afternoon, I hung around school for awhile (yep, not gonna lie - I was messing around on this website playing with my new blogs) because this evening I headed over to Andrew Buchanan to attend a "What's New" in children's literature workshop. It was (to use my 14 year old daughter's words) "O-Mazing!"

Now to know me is to know that I L-O-V-E books. Always have, always will... If it was up to me, I would have my nose shoved in a book 10 hours out of the day (ooh, wait those are what my summer days look like when I am not working! haha) One of my biggest resources that I utilize for teaching my students is "what book can I read to them to teach my point today?" And let me tell you, you are not hard pressed to find one that will help you out! (That is why I love all my parents who have ordered from Scholastic over the years. You have helped me create my classroom's library. Thank you!)
So anyhoo, here is the low-down on my workshop tonight. There are so many books that I want to share with you, but I dont want you to have to scroll or read forever to get through them all - so here are my top 5 - Coming to a classroom, library, or bedroom near you...

We are in a Book by Mo Willems 
The same man to bring our beloved Pigeon books has written another book about his funny characters - Elephant and Piggie. They are thrilled to discover that they are in a book. 




 Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit by Catherine Rayner
Ernest tries his darnedest to fit inside this book and with the help of his little chipmunk friend (and some super cute verbs like shimmy, squidge, and squodge they just might discover a way to make it work in the end!




 Roslyn Rutabaga and the Biggest Hole on Earth by Mary-Louise Gay
A simple sweet story about a little rabbit who is totally determined to dig a hole to Antarctic so she can see some penguins  




 
 Children Make Terrible Pets  by Peter Brown
A picture book that is a funny spoof story on a children's desire to take and make any animal their pet. 





 Interrupting Chicken by David Ezra Stein
Despite a Papa Chicken's best efforts to tell his daughter classic fairy tale stories at bedtime, she is always jumping to the punch line of the story and interrupting! It brings each story to an abrupt end and leaves the father feeling just a little bit frustrated. Cute ending 




No comments:

Post a Comment